301 Aberdeenshire & Mar(r)
Finersy and Findercie, Poll Book;
1618, Fynnersie, Retour 157;
1610, Phynnersie, Retour 124;
1517, Fenersy, Ant. III., 477
1505, Fynnersy, Ant. III., 419
Perhaps a corruption of fionn àird (arj), “fair height.”
1853 - 54;
Printed and Published by
GEO. CORNWALL, 54, CASTLE STREET.
Pg 185 Echt
Henry, William, farmer, Miltown of Findrassie
Leith, Alexander, farmer, Little Findrassie
Leith, William, farmer, Banks of Findrassie
Philip, Robert, farmer, Milltown of Findrassie
Ross, John, farmer, Little Findrassie
Recorded as Banks of Findrassie, Little Findrassie, Milltown of Findrassie, somewhat similar to Findercie above. Perhaps have an "L" dropped and should be Flindrassie or similar indicating a relationship with Flinders. This seems likely as at Banks there were a community of weavers who possibly had there own church and grave yard.
Pg 198 Kinnethmont
Anderson, Peter, farmer, Oldflinder
Forbes, James, farmer, Oldflinder
Mennie, James, farmer, Little Flinder
Reid, William, farmer, Little Flinder
Skinner, Peter, farmer, Old Flinder ]
Flinder(Kennethmont). CS Flinner
1635 New and Old Flinder Ant. IV., 514;
1367, Flandris, Col. 539;
1355, Flandres, Col. 358.
Tradition says that a colony of Flemings settled in Leslie and Kennethmont at a very early period, and it is possible the name Flandres originated with them. A charter by Earl David, 1171-1199 (Col 546), conveying the lands of Lesslyn to Malcolm, son of Barthholf, is addresses to “Franks and Angles, Flemings and Scots”; and a charter by Thomas, Earl of Mar, confirmed by David II. in 1357 (Col. 548), conveys the lands of Cruterystoun (Leslie), with the right of Flemish law – “una cum lege Fleminga que dicitur Fleming lauch.” A plough-gate of land in the parish of Kinalchmund was granted by Earl David (1189-1214) to the Church of S. Thomas of Abirbrothoc, and it appears to have been perambulated, along with others, by Symon Flandrensis, who may have been one of the colony.
Kynnathmont and Kynnauchmount, R.M.S., 1032
1418, Kyllachmond, R.E.A., II., 218
1403, Kynalchmund, Col. 626;
c. 1366 Kynalcmund, Col. 221;
1299 Kilalckmunith, Col 625;
1172 - 1199, Kyllalchmond, R.E.A. II., 13
1165 – 1188, Kynalcmund, Col. 624
Cill, “a cell or church.” St Alcmund is said to be a “well-known saint in the Roman Calendar.” I do not find his name in this form in the “Kalendars of the Scottish Saints,” but it is probable that there was a saint so called. It is not quite certain, however, whether Kyn or Kil is the older prefix. Kinbattock also has the old forms of Kilbethok and Dolbethok. It is possible that in both cases Kil and Kyn may be the distinctive names of the church and the church lands. St Alcmund must have had a cell apart from the church, or he may have fallen into disrepute, for the church was dedicated to St. Rule, and in 1572 it appears in an “Act of Secrete Counsall” as Trewle Kirk. See Trewel Fair. In a charter – given in the Register of Aberbrothoc, p. 55 – by Earl David on a ploughgate of land in Kinalchmund, in favour of the Church of St. Thomas of Aberbrothoc, the names of the four men are given who had fixed the marches, and among them is “Symon flandrensis.” He may have been one of the Flemish colony settled in this part of the country, and to whom there appears to be reference in charters of date 1177 – 1199 and 1357, Col. 546 and 548. This charter by Earl David (1211 – 14) gives the spelling Kinalchmund; the Royal Conformation of the same year Kelalchmund; and the Confirmation by Earl John, 1219, Kynalchmund.
Trewel Fair (Kennethmont)
Cor. Of St. Rule’s Fair, St. Regulus being patron saint of Kennethmont. 1572, “Trewlekirk,” Act of Secrete Counsall.”
# # #